Monday, June 16, 2008

All you need is love....

So, I've been taking care of a particular older patient at work....she's had a NG tube, that she pulled out....a G-tube placed...continuous tube feeding, and she had to have wrist restraints so she wouldn't pull anything out....
Most nights, she's been non-verbal...not sleeping, but won't talk and just looks at you....
So, I went in to give her a bath, and per usual, say "How are you tonight?" She looks, waves, and says "ok." Well, I almost dropped the soap! We had a blast for 15 minutes, singing elvis songs and other songs my grandmother taught me while I was washing her up, and then when we got done she says..."ok, I'll see you later!" Throughout the night, she would say "help, help, come on god, help me out here." When I would ask her what she needed, she would only say "Love." I told her, "I love you, you are so agreeable tonight"...."Oh, I love you too, I know you're a good man. Ok, I'm going."
That's why I do what I do....
PS. On a side note, if you have a g/ng tube patient with NPO status...PLEASE make sure they are getting mouthcare, especially if they are getting breathing treatments for mucus...it makes them look and feel much better....

1 comment:

overactive-imagination said...

Amen to the mouth care. It never ceased to amaze when working as a PCT the sheer number of nurses who completely neglected mouth care. Of course, me being a dental assistant for 13 years, I was always the one to do mouthcare on patients. They really appreciate that. Shocking, eh?