Sunday, February 17, 2008

If I had a call light for the world....

Sometimes, I can't understand timing...people who miss getting hit by seconds, who step off into traffic blindly to get to the other side...and make it. Lovers who miss finding others by minutes, because they didn't want to go somewhere new. People who seek attention by finding things for you to do every 3-5 mins.....
tonight, one of my patients was random, run of the mill, back problem....who proceeded to ask me to help turn on side....then on back...then on side...then on back...interspersed with bedpan times...even though I'd just set her up 5 mins ago....the longest break I got from her from 10Pm to 5AM? 15 mins.....

I look through my last posts and realize that I've got a lot of negative thoughts up there...so I thought I'd end tonight with a positive......
The best feeling in the world is discharging someone who has spent over a week on your unit...when you get to know them, their family, their dx, their history almost like your own....someone had been with us for 3 weeks, the night he was due to leave.....Hit the floor. Cramping, abd pain....just crazy pain...and he'd been good the entire week...totally unlike him...Ran him down to CT....liver laceration...probably had been going the entire week....goes to show that had we sent him home during the day...he might not have made it...ICU/Surgery/ then another day out the door.....finally...I keep waiting to see if he's coming back...hope not.

No comments: